California Code, Business and Professions Code - BPC § 1288.3

(a) If a clinical laboratory employee, agent, or courier retrieves biological specimens located in a public place outside of the custodial control of a licensee, or his or her employee, agent, or contractor, and those specimens are not secured in a locked container, the clinical laboratory employee, agent, or courier, utilizing the form provided by the State Department of Health Services pursuant to Section 1220.5 , shall (1) notify the licensee by attaching the appropriate copy of the form to the unlocked storage container, and (2) mail the appropriate copy of the form to the Department of Consumer Affairs.  The Department of Consumer Affairs shall forward all forms received to the appropriate licensing entity.

(b) This section shall not apply where the biological specimens have been received by mail in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.

(c) For purposes of this section:  (1) “locked container” means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device.

(2) “Licensee” means a person licensed pursuant to this division 2 (commencing with Section 500 ), who collects human biological specimens for clinical testing or examination.

(d) A violation of this section is not subject to Section 1287 .

(e) This section shall become operative on January 1, 2001.  Nothing in this section shall be construed to require clinical laboratory employees, agents, or couriers to notify licensees or the Department of Consumer Affairs of an unsecured specimen if the State Department of Health Services has not provided the appropriate forms.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard