Arizona Revised Statutes Title 44. Trade and Commerce § 44–132. Capacity of minor to obtain hospital, medical and surgical care;  definition

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of law except as provided in title 36, chapter 20, article 1,  1 and without limiting cases in which consent may otherwise be obtained or is not required, any emancipated minor, any minor who has contracted a lawful marriage or any homeless minor may give consent to the furnishing of hospital, medical and surgical care to such minor, and such consent shall not be subject to disaffirmance because of minority.  The consent of the parent, or parents, of such a person is not necessary in order to authorize hospital, medical and surgical care.  For the purposes of this section only, subsequent judgment of annulment of such marriage or judgment of divorce shall not deprive such person of his adult status once attained.

B. A health care provider acting in reliance on the consent of a minor who has authority or apparent authority pursuant to this section to consent to health care is not subject to criminal and civil liability and professional disciplinary action on the ground that he or she failed to obtain consent of the minor's parent, parents or legal guardian.  This subsection does not affect any other cause of action permitted under title 12, chapter 5.1.  2

C. For purposes of this section, a homeless minor is an individual under the age of eighteen years living apart from his parents and who lacks a fixed and regular nighttime residence or whose primary residence is either a supervised shelter designed to provide temporary accommodations, a halfway house or a place not designed for or ordinarily used for sleeping by humans.

1 Section 36–2151 et seq.
2 Section 12–561 et seq.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard