A. In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Board” means the Arizona state board of pharmacy.
2. “Cannabis” means the following substances under whatever names they may be designated:
(b) All parts of any plant of the genus cannabis, whether growing or not, its seeds, the resin extracted from any part of such plant, and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture or preparation of such plant, its seeds or resin, but shall not include the mature stalks of such plant, fiber produced from such stalks, oil or cake made from the seeds of such plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture or preparation of such mature stalks (except the resin extracted therefrom), fiber, oil, or cake or the sterilized seed of such plant which is incapable of germination.
(c) Every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture or preparation of such resin, tetrahydrocannabinol (T.H.C.), or of such plants from which the resin has not been extracted.
3. “Controlled substance” means a drug, substance or immediate precursor in schedules I through V of article 2 of this chapter. 1
4. “Department” means the department of public safety.
5. “Drug dependent person” means a person who is using a controlled substance and who is in a state of psychic or physical dependence, or both, arising from the use of that substance on a continuous basis. Drug dependence is characterized by behavioral and other responses which include a strong compulsion to take the substance on a continuing basis in order to experience its psychic effects or to avoid the discomfort caused by its absence.
6. “Drug enforcement administration” means the drug enforcement administration of the department of justice of the United States or its successor agency.
7. “Immediate precursor” means a substance which the board has found to be and by rule designates as being the principal compound commonly used or produced primarily for use and which is an immediate chemical intermediary used or likely to be used in the manufacture of a controlled substance, the control of which is necessary to prevent, curtail or limit manufacture.
8. “Narcotic drug” means any of the following whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of vegetable origin or independently by means of chemical synthesis or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis:
(a) Opium and opiate and any salt, compound, derivation or preparation of opium or opiate.
(b) Any salt, compound, isomer, derivative or preparation which is chemically equivalent or identical with any of the substances referred to in subdivision (a) of this paragraph but not including the isoquinoline alkaloids of opium.
(c) Opium poppy and poppy straw.
(d) Coca leaves and any salt, compound, derivation or preparation of coca leaves including cocaine and its optical isomers and any salt, compound, isomer, derivation or preparation which is chemically equivalent or identical with any of these substances but not including decocainized coca leaves or extractions of coca leaves which do not contain cocaine or ecgonine.
9. “Opiate” means any substance having an addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability similar to morphine or being capable of conversion into a drug having addiction-forming or addiction-sustaining liability. It does not include the dextrorotatory isomer of 3-methoxy-n-methylmorphinan and its salts (dextromethorphan). It does include its racemic and levorotatory forms.
10. “Opium poppy” means the plant of the genus papaver, except its seeds.
11. “Poppy straw” means all parts, except the seeds, of the opium poppy after mowing.
12. “Production” means the manufacture, planting, cultivating, growing or harvesting of a controlled substance.
13. “Registrant” means a person registered under the provisions of the federal controlled substances act (P.L. 91-513; 84 Stat. 1242; 21 U.S.C. § 801 et seq. ).
14. “Schedule I controlled substances” means the controlled substances identified, defined or listed in § 36-2512 .
15. “Schedule II controlled substances” means the controlled substances identified, defined or listed in § 36-2513 .
16. “Schedule III controlled substances” means the controlled substances identified, defined or listed in § 36-2514 .
17. “Schedule IV controlled substances” means the controlled substances identified, defined or listed in § 36-2515 .
18. “Schedule V controlled substances” means the controlled substances identified, defined or listed in § 36-2516 .
19. “Scientific purpose” means research, teaching or chemical analysis.
20. “State”, when applied to a part of the United States, means any state, district, commonwealth, territory or insular possession of the United States and any area subject to the legal authority of the United States of America.
B. Words or phrases in this chapter, if not defined in subsection A of this section, have the definitions given them in title 32, chapter 18, article 1, 2 unless the context otherwise requires.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.