Arizona Revised Statutes Title 33. Property § 33-968. Erroneously identified property owner;  lien;  release

A. If a recorded money judgment or a certified copy of a money judgment appears to create a judgment lien on the real property of a person who is not the judgment debtor because the name of the property owner is the same as or similar to that of the judgment debtor, the erroneously identified property owner may deliver to the judgment creditor a written demand for a recordable document that releases the lien.  The demand shall be accompanied by reasonable proof that the property owner is not the judgment debtor and that the property is not subject to enforcement of the judgment against the judgment debtor.

B. Within fifteen days after receipt of the property owner's demand and compliance with subsection A, the judgment creditor shall deliver to the property owner a recordable document that releases the lien on the property of that owner.  If the judgment creditor improperly fails to deliver a recordable document within that time, the judgment creditor is liable to the property owner for all damages incurred by reason of the failure and is presumed liable for at least five hundred dollars.

C. If the judgment creditor does not deliver a document as prescribed by subsection B, the property owner may apply to the court for an order releasing the judgment lien.  The application shall be served on the judgment creditor.  On presentation of evidence satisfactory to the court that the property is not subject to the judgment, the court shall order the judgment creditor to prepare and deliver a recordable document that releases the lien or by order of the court may release the judgment lien on the property.  The order may be recorded in the office of the county recorder in the county where the property is located and shall release the judgment lien on the property.

D. The court shall award reasonable attorney fees to the prevailing party in any action pursuant to this section.

E. The damages and other remedies provided by this section are not in derogation of any other remedy that a person may be entitled to by law.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard