Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
A. The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident on public or private property resulting only in damage to a vehicle that is driven or attended by a person shall:
1. Immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close to the accident scene as possible but shall immediately return to the accident scene.
2. Remain at the scene of the accident until the driver has fulfilled the requirements of § 28-663 .
3. Make the stop without obstructing traffic more than is necessary.
B. If the first vehicle described in subsection A of this section is a fully autonomous vehicle operating without a human driver, the requirements of this section are satisfied if the fully autonomous vehicle:
1. Immediately stops at the scene of the accident or as close to the accident scene as possible.
2. Remains stopped at or as close as possible to the scene until the requirements of § 28-663 have been satisfied.
3. Makes the stop without obstructing traffic more than necessary.
C. A person failing to stop or comply with this section is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor.
D. A court may order the department to suspend the license or permit to drive and any nonresident operating privilege of a person convicted under this section for one year. If reasonable suspicion exists to believe that the person's use of intoxicating liquor, any drug listed in § 13-3401 , a vapor releasing substance containing a toxic substance or any combination of liquor, drugs or vapor releasing substances was a contributing factor to the accident, the department may require the person to complete alcohol or other drug screening as a condition of license reinstatement.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Arizona Revised Statutes Title 28. Transportation § 28-662. Accidents involving damage to vehicle; failure to stop; fully autonomous vehicle operating without a human driver; violation; classification; driver license suspension; alcohol or other drug screening - last updated March 08, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/az/title-28-transportation/az-rev-st-sect-28-662.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.