Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
A. A person commits manslaughter by doing any of the following:
1. Recklessly causing the death of another person.
2. Committing second degree murder as prescribed in § 13-1104, subsection A on a sudden quarrel or heat of passion resulting from adequate provocation by the victim.
3. Intentionally providing the physical means that another person uses to die by suicide, with the knowledge that the person intends to die by suicide.
4. Committing second degree murder as prescribed in § 13-1104, subsection A , paragraph 3, while being coerced to do so by the use or threatened immediate use of unlawful deadly physical force on the person or a third person that a reasonable person in his situation would have been unable to resist.
5. Knowingly or recklessly causing the death of an unborn child by any physical injury to the mother.
B. A person who is at least eighteen years of age commits manslaughter by intentionally providing advice or encouragement that a minor uses to die by suicide with the knowledge that the minor intends to die by suicide.
C. An offense under subsection A, paragraph 5 of this section applies to an unborn child in the womb at any stage of its development. A person shall not be prosecuted under subsection A, paragraph 5 of this section if any of the following applies:
1. The person was performing an abortion for which the consent of the pregnant woman, or a person authorized by law to act on the pregnant woman's behalf, has been obtained or for which the consent was implied or authorized by law.
2. The person was performing medical treatment on the pregnant woman or the pregnant woman's unborn child.
3. The person was the unborn child's mother.
D. Manslaughter is a class 2 felony.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Arizona Revised Statutes Title 13. Criminal Code § 13-1103. Manslaughter; classification - last updated March 08, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/az/title-13-criminal-code/az-rev-st-sect-13-1103.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.