Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board and the State Board of Career Education shall jointly award grants for tech-prep education programs to consortia of:
(1) Public schools or area vocational education schools serving secondary school students; and
(2) Community colleges which offer a two-year associate degree program or a two-year certificate program; or
(3) Other state-supported institutions of higher education which offer a two-year associate of applied science or other occupational degree program or a two-year certificate program.
(b) From the amounts made available to the state, the Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board and the State Board of Career Education, in accordance with this subchapter, shall jointly award grants on a competitive basis or on the basis of a formula determined by both boards, for tech prep education programs.
(c) Each grant recipient shall use amounts provided under the grant to develop and operate a four-year tech-prep education program.
(d) Any such program shall:
(1) Be carried out under an articulation agreement between the participants in the consortium;
(2) Consist of:
(A) The two (2) years of secondary school preceding graduation and two (2) years of higher education; or
(B) An apprenticeship program of at least two (2) years following secondary instruction, with a common core of required proficiency in mathematics, science, communications, and technologies designed to lead to an associate degree or certificate in a specific career field;
(3) Include in-service training for teachers that:
(A) Is designed to train teachers to effectively implement tech-prep education curricula;
(B) Provides for joint training for teachers from all participants in the consortium; and
(C) May provide such training in weekend, evening, and summer sessions, institutes, or workshops;
(4) Include training programs for counselors designed to enable counselors to more effectively:
(A) Recruit students for tech-prep education programs;
(B) Ensure that such students successfully complete such programs; and
(C) Ensure that such students are placed in appropriate employment;
(5) Provide equal access to the full range of technical preparation programs to individuals who are members of special populations, including the development of tech-prep education program services appropriate to the needs of such individuals; and
(6) Provide for preparatory services which assist all participants in such programs.
(e) In addition, each such program may:
(1) Provide for the acquisition of tech-prep education program equipment; and
(2) As part of the program's planning activities, acquire technical assistance from the state or local entities that have successfully designed, established, and operated tech-prep programs.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Arkansas Code Title 6. Education § 6-53-502. Grant use - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ar/title-6-education/ar-code-sect-6-53-502/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?