Arkansas Code Title 6. Education § 6-47-404. Establishment and implementation
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Arkansas Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) There is established the Arkansas Distance Learning Development Program, which shall be conducted by the Division of Elementary and Secondary Education and administered through the Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education.
(b) The program shall have four (4) focus areas:
(1) To help alleviate the increasing shortage of available qualified teachers;
(2) To provide additional course-scheduling opportunities for students currently forced to choose between courses that are scheduled infrequently or concurrently;
(3) To provide an opportunity for students to access an enriched curriculum and additional courses beyond those mandated by the Standards for Accreditation of Arkansas Public Schools and School Districts; and
(4) To develop and make available online professional development and instructional resources for all teachers and administrators.
(c)(1) The funding necessary to carry out the provisions of this subchapter may be derived from donations, grants, or legislative appropriation.
(2) The commissioner may solicit and receive donations and grants for the purpose of administering the program.
(3)(A) All donations, grants, and appropriations received shall be accounted for by the division.
(B) Fund balances may be carried over from one (1) year to the next to continue the program.
(d) The commissioner shall review the implementation of this program annually and make recommendations to the State Board of Education regarding the number and amount of awards to ensure that the purpose of the program is achieved.
(e) The commissioner may enter into contracts or provide grants to local education agencies, education service cooperatives, or other entities for personnel, facilities, and services necessary to implement this program.
(f) Students taking courses through this program shall be considered entitled to any public education credits and grades assigned through this program, and those credits and grades shall be accepted by all public schools in the State of Arkansas.
(g) Courses offered or taught through the program may be offered or taught to public school students, private school students, and home-schooled students in the State of Arkansas.
(h) A home-schooled student or a private school student enrolled in a distance learning course shall not be entitled to any rights, privileges, courses, activities, or services available to a public school student or open-enrollment public charter school student other than receiving appropriate credit for a completed distance learning course.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Arkansas Code Title 6. Education § 6-47-404. Establishment and implementation - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ar/title-6-education/ar-code-sect-6-47-404.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?