(a) Annually, in either the month of October for a one-semester course taught in the fall or the month of February for a one-semester course taught in the spring, a unit on dating violence awareness shall be taught as a component of a health course offered in grades seven through twelve (7-12).
(b) A unit on dating violence awareness shall:
(1) Focus on healthy relationships, including the characteristics of healthy relationships;
(2) Teach students the definition of dating violence and abuse, including without limitation:
(A) Warning signs of dating violence and abusive behavior; and
(B) Measures to stop or prevent dating violence and abusive behavior;
(3) Inform students about resources and reporting procedures for dating violence or abuse; and
(4) Examine the common misconceptions and stereotypes about dating violence and abuse.
(c)(1) Materials used to teach a unit in dating violence awareness shall be age appropriate.
(2) Information provided shall be objective and based on scientific research that is peer-reviewed and accepted by professionals and credentialed experts in the field of health education.
(d) The Division of Elementary and Secondary Education shall annually provide a list of source materials available for school districts to use to teach a unit on dating violence awareness, including without limitation materials from:
(1) The Arkansas Coalition Against Domestic Violence;
(2) The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention;
(3) The National Domestic Violence Hotline;
(4) The National Institutes of Health; and
(5) Other sources of scientifically based research that are peer-reviewed.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.