As used in this chapter:
(1) “Deviate sexual activity” means any act of sexual gratification involving:
(A) The penetration, however slight, of the anus or mouth of a person by the penis of another person; or
(B) The penetration, however slight, of the labia majora or anus of a person by any body member or foreign instrument manipulated by another person;
(2) “Forcible compulsion” means physical force or a threat, express or implied, of death or physical injury to or kidnapping of any person;
(3) “Guardian” means a parent, stepparent, legal guardian, legal custodian, foster parent, or any person who by virtue of a living arrangement is placed in an apparent position of power or authority over a minor;
(4)(A) “Mentally defective” means that a person suffers from a mental disease or defect that renders the person:
(i) Incapable of understanding the nature and consequences of a sexual act; or
(ii) Unaware a sexual act is occurring.
(B) A determination that a person is mentally defective shall not be based solely on the person's intelligence quotient;
(5) “Mentally incapacitated” means that a person is temporarily incapable of appreciating or controlling the person's conduct as a result of the influence of a controlled or intoxicating substance:
(A) Administered to the person without the person's consent; or
(B) That renders the person unaware a sexual act is occurring;
(6) “Minor” means a person who is less than eighteen (18) years of age;
(7) “Physically helpless” means that a person is:
(B) Physically unable to communicate a lack of consent; or
(C) Rendered unaware a sexual act is occurring;
(8) “Public place” means a publicly or privately owned place to which the public or a substantial number of people have access;
(9) “Public view” means observable or likely to be observed by a person in a public place;
(10) “Recording” includes without limitation an image or video;
(11) “Sexual contact” means any act of sexual gratification involving the touching, directly or through clothing, of the sex organs, buttocks, or anus of a person or the breast of a female;
(12) “Sexual intercourse” means penetration, however slight, of the labia majora by a penis;
(13) “Sexually explicit conduct” means the same as defined in § 5-27-302 ; and
(14) “State of nudity” means the same as defined in § 5-26-302 .
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.