(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall not be driven upon the left half of the roadway, except as follows:
(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing that movement;
(2) When the right half of a roadway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair;
(3) Upon a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon;
(4) Upon a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic;
(5) When the right half of the roadway is in disrepair or is in an otherwise undrivable or unsafe condition; or
(6) When a vehicle is preparing to exit the roadway on the left.
(b) Motor vehicles shall not be operated continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway whenever it impedes the flow of other traffic.
(c)(1) The Arkansas Department of Transportation may designate certain multilane highways or portions of multilane highways as prohibiting continuous driving in the left lane except in those instances described in subsection (a) of this section.
(2) For those multilane highways or portions of multilane highways described in subdivision (c)(1) of this section and designated by the department, the department shall erect periodic signs along the multilane highway or portion of the multilane highway that notify the public of the prohibition.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.