In the following cases, every agreement is void unless such agreement or some note or memorandum thereof expressing the consideration is in writing and subscribed by the party to be charged therewith or some other person by him thereunto lawfully authorized in writing:
(1) Every agreement which, by its terms, is not to be performed within one year from the making thereof;
(2) Every special promise by an executor or administrator to answer damages out of his own estate;
(3) Every special promise to answer for the debt, default or miscarriage of another;
(4) Every agreement, promise or undertaking made upon consideration of marriage, except mutual promises to marry;
(5) Every contract for the sale of lands, tenements or hereditaments, or of any interest therein, except leases for a term not longer than one year, unless the purchase money, or a portion thereof is paid and the purchaser is put in possession of the land by the seller;
(6) Every agreement, contract or promise to make a will or to devise or bequeath any real or personal property or right, title or interest therein;
(7) Every agreement or commitment to lend money, delay or forebear repayment thereof or to modify the provisions of such an agreement or commitment except for consumer loans with a principal amount financed less than $25,000;
(8) Notwithstanding Section 7-8-113 , every agreement for the sale or purchase of securities other than through the facilities of a national stock exchange or of the over-the-counter securities market.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.