Skip to main content

Alabama Code Title 6. Civil Practice § 6-5-542

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

For the purposes of this article, the following terms shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by this section:

(1) HEALTH CARE PROVIDER. A medical practitioner, dental practitioner, medical institution, physician, dentist, hospital, or other health care provider as those terms are defined in Section 6-5-481.

(2) STANDARD OF CARE. The standard of care is that level of such reasonable care, skill, and diligence as other similarly situated health care providers in the same general line of practice, ordinarily have and exercise in like cases. A breach of the standard of care is the failure by a health care provider to comply with the standard of care, which failure proximately causes personal injury or wrongful death. This definition applies to all actions for injuries or damages or wrongful death whether in contract or tort and whether based on intentional or unintentional conduct.

(3) FUTURE DAMAGES. Damages for future medical treatment, care, or custody, loss of future earnings, future loss of earning capacity, future loss of bodily function, future loss of consortium, or future pain and suffering.

(4) PERIODIC PAYMENT. The payment of money or delivery of other property to the judgment creditor at regular intervals.

(5) SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE. Substantial evidence is that character of admissible evidence which would convince an unprejudiced thinking mind of the truth of the fact to which the evidence is directed.

Cite this article: - Alabama Code Title 6. Civil Practice § 6-5-542 - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard