Alabama Code Title 45. Local Laws § 45-41A-41.04
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Code of Alabama
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) Prior to imposing a civil penalty under this part, the city shall first mail via first class United States mail a notice of violation to the owner of the motor vehicle which is recorded by the photographic traffic signal enforcement system while committing a traffic signal violation. The notice shall be sent not later than the 30th day after the date the traffic signal violation is recorded to:
(1) The owner's address as shown on the registration records of the Alabama Department of Revenue.
(2) If the vehicle is registered in another state or country, to the owner's address as shown on the motor vehicle registration records of the department or agency of the other state or country analogous to the Alabama Department of Revenue.
(b) A notice of violation issued under this part shall contain the following:
(1) A description of the violation alleged.
(2) The date, time, and location of the violation.
(3) A copy of recorded images of the vehicle involved in the violation.
(4) The amount of the civil penalty to be imposed for the violation.
(5) The date by which the civil penalty must be paid.
(6) A statement that the person named in the notice of violation may pay the civil penalty in lieu of appearing at an administrative adjudication hearing.
(7) Information that informs the person named in the notice of violation:
a. Of the right to contest the imposition of the civil penalty in an administrative adjudication.
b. Of the manner and time in which to contest the imposition of the civil penalty.
c. That failure to pay the civil penalty or to contest liability is an admission of liability.
(8) A statement that a recorded image is evidence in a proceeding for the imposition of a civil penalty.
(9) A statement that failure to pay the civil penalty within the time allowed shall result in the imposition of a late penalty not exceeding twenty-five dollars ($25) for each month after the issuance of the order imposing the civil penalty.
(10) Any other information deemed necessary by the department or the city.
(c) A notice of violation under this part is presumed to have been received on the 10th day after the date the notice of violation is placed in the United States mail.
(d) The civil penalty imposed shall be paid within 30 days of the 10th day after the date the notice of violation is mailed.
(e)(1) It shall be within the discretion of the trained technician to determine which of the recorded traffic signal violations are prosecuted based upon the quality and legibility of the recorded image. In lieu of issuing a notice of violation, the city may mail a warning notice to the owner.
(2) Under no circumstances shall the salary or other compensation of the trained technician be related to the number of notices of violation issued or amount of fines collected.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alabama Code Title 45. Local Laws § 45-41A-41.04 - last updated December 30, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-45-local-laws/al-code-sect-45-41a-41-04.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?