Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a)(1) There is imposed on every person, firm, or corporation that sells, stores, delivers, uses, or otherwise consumes tobacco or tobacco products in Choctaw County, a ten cent ($0.10) county privilege, license, or excise tax on the following:
a. On each package of cigarettes and on each package of little or mini cigars made of tobacco or any substitute therefor.
b. On each cigar, excluding those described in paragraph a., of any description made of tobacco or any substitute therefor.
c. On each sack, can, package, or other container of smoking tobacco, including granulated, plug cut, crimp cut, ready rubbed, and other kinds and forms of tobacco which are prepared in such manner as to be suitable for smoking in a pipe or cigarette.
d. On each sack, plug, package, or other container of chewing tobacco, which tobacco is prepared in such manner as to be suitable for chewing only and not suitable for smoking.
e. On each can, bottle, glass, tumbler, package, or other container of snuff made of tobacco or any substitute therefor.
f. On each package of tobacco paper, both gummed and ungummed.
(2) This privilege, license, or excise tax shall be in addition to all other taxes imposed by law and shall be collected in the same manner as other taxes on tobacco, except that when the license tax required by this section has been paid by a wholesaler or seller of the products, that payment shall be sufficient. The legislative intent is that the tax shall be paid but once on each package of cigarettes, cigarette sized or real cigarette cigars or mini cigars, chewing tobacco, snuff, cigars of every description, and smoking tobacco of every description, and for each package of tobacco paper, whether gummed or ungummed.
(b) Every person, firm, corporation, club, or association that sells, stores, or receives for the purpose in Choctaw County, any cigarettes, cigars, snuff, smoking tobacco, and like tobacco products shall add the amount of the license or privilege tax levied and assessed herein to the price of the cigarettes, cigars, snuff, smoking tobacco products, it being the purpose and intent of this provision that the tax levied is, in fact, a levy on the consumer with the person, firm, corporation, club, or association, who sells or stores or receives for the purpose of distributing the cigarettes, cigars, snuff, smoking tobacco products, acting merely as agent for the collection of the tax. The dealer, storer, or distributor shall state the amount of the tax separately from the price of the cigarettes, cigars, snuff, smoking tobacco, and like tobacco products, on all price display signs, sales or delivery slips, bills, and statements which advertise or indicate the price of the cigarettes, cigars, snuff, smoking tobacco, and like tobacco products.
(c) It shall be unlawful for any dealer, storer, or distributor engaged in or continuing in Choctaw County in the business for which the tax is hereby levied to fail or refuse to add to the sales price and collect from the purchaser the amount due on account of the tax herein provided or to refund or offer to refund all or any part of the amount collected or absorb or advertise directly or indirectly the absorption of the tax or any portion thereof. Any person, firm, corporation, club, or association violating any of the provisions of this subsection shall be subject to a civil penalty of not less than twenty-five dollars ($25) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500). Each act in violation of this subsection shall constitute a separate offense.
(1) The State Department of Revenue is authorized and directed to collect all taxes now or hereafter levied by the county under the provisions of this section.
(2) The tax levied herein shall be paid by affixing stamps as is required for the payment of the tax imposed by Section 40-25-1 through Section 40-25-28.
(3) The State Department of Revenue shall have the same duties relative to the preparation and sale of stamps to evidence the payment of such tax that it has relative to the preparation and sale of stamps under those sections and may exercise the same powers and perform the same duties in the same manner relative to the collection of the tax hereby levied that it does relative to the collection of that tax, for as long as it is authorized and directed to do so under the aforementioned resolution.
(4) In accordance with Section 40-25-2(q), in the event the aforementioned tobacco stamps are not available, for affixing to tobacco products packages and containers, or by the authority of the duly promulgated regulation eliminating the requirement of affixing county tobacco stamps, the Commissioner of Revenue may require a monthly report in lieu of stamps to report the amount of tax due. The monthly report shall be in a form approved by the Commissioner of Revenue, and adopted by the Department of Revenue under the provisions of the Alabama Administrative Procedure Act, Title 41, Chapter 22.
(5) The department shall have the authority to promulgate and enforce rules and regulations to effectuate the purposes of this section. All such rules and regulations duly promulgated shall have the force and effect of law.
(d) All laws, rules and regulations of the Department of Revenue, relating to the manner and time of payment of the tax levied by Section 40-25-1 through Section 40-25-28, requiring reports from dealers and prescribing penalties for violations shall apply with equal force to the tax levied by this section as provided for herein.
(e) The proceeds from the tax hereby authorized less the actual cost of collection not to exceed 10 percent shall be distributed to the Choctaw County Parks and Recreation Board.
(f) This section shall not be construed to apply to cigarettes, cigars, snuff, smoking tobacco, and like tobacco products stored by a wholesale dealer for the purpose of resale or reshipment outside of such county which are actually resold or reshipped.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alabama Code Title 45. Local Laws § 45-12-242 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-45-local-laws/al-code-sect-45-12-242/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.