Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) It shall be the duty of the Secretary of State, on publication and delivery to the state, to transmit sets of the Code of Alabama 1975, and supplements or replacement volumes thereof, subject to subsection (b), to all of the following agencies, departments, institutions, bureaus, boards, commissions, and offices:
(1) One set to the law library of Congress.
(2) One set to the custodian of the law library of the court of last resort of every state and territory for exchange upon the approval of the state law librarian of the request therefor.
(3) One set to the library of the University of Alabama and one set to the Land Commissioner of the University of Alabama.
(4) One set to each member of the Legislature, the Lieutenant Governor, the Clerk of the House of Representatives, and the Secretary of the Senate.
(5) One set to the library of each junior college, trade school, technical college, and public institution of higher education.
(6) Twenty sets to the librarian of the Supreme Court and State Law Library for the use of the library.
(7) Two sets to the Department of Archives and History.
(8) Two sets to the office of the Governor.
(9) Twenty sets to the office of the Attorney General.
(10) Five sets to the Legislative Reference Service.
(11) Two sets to the Department of Court Management.
(12) One set to each functioning agency, department, institution, bureau, board, and commission of state government not otherwise provided for by this chapter, upon application therefor to the Secretary of State.
(13) One set to the commission of each county for use of the county commission and for use of the tax assessor, tax collector, and other county officers to whom distribution is not otherwise provided.
(14) One set to the circuit court of each county and, in counties having two courthouses, one set for the office of the circuit clerk maintained in each of the courthouses.
(15) One set to the clerk of the district court and juvenile court in counties where clerks' offices for these courts are maintained.
(16) One set to the probate judge of each county.
(17) Three sets to every justice of the Supreme Court and two sets to every judge of the Court of Criminal Appeals and Court of Civil Appeals.
(18) Three sets to the Clerk of the Supreme Court, and one set each to the Court of Criminal Appeals, Court of Civil Appeals, and Reporter of Decisions.
(19) One set to every judge of the circuit and district courts.
(20) One set to every district attorney.
(21) One set to the office of the Secretary of the Senate for the use of the Senate and one set to the office of the Clerk of the House of Representatives for the use of the House of Representatives.
(22) One set to the mayor or other executive or presiding officer of each municipality for use of such municipality.
(b) Code sets, annual supplements, and replacement volumes shall be provided to each eligible recipient under subsection (a) upon written request submitted by the recipient to the Secretary of State. The written request shall be filed once every four years within 30 days of receipt of a notice provided by the Secretary of State to the recipient concerning the necessity of filing a written request. The notice shall be provided by the Secretary of State within one month after the first legislative day of the first regular session of a legislative quadrennium.
(c) Notwithstanding subsection (b), the code sets, annual supplements, and replacement volumes distributed to members of the Legislature shall be provided unless the member submits a written request to the Secretary of State declining these volumes.
(d) The Secretary of State shall provide notice to an eligible recipient who newly assumes a vacated office within 30 days of being informed of the filling of the vacancy. The eligible recipient shall have 30 days from receipt of the notice from the Secretary of State to file a written request for code sets, annual supplements, and replacement volumes. Upon receipt of the request, the Secretary of State shall provide the materials to the eligible recipient during the remainder of the four-year period.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alabama Code Title 41. State Government § 41-21-1 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-41-state-government/al-code-sect-41-21-1.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?