Alabama Code Title 41. State Government § 41-16-5
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Code of Alabama
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) For the purposes of this section, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) Boycott. To blacklist, divest from, or otherwise refuse to deal with a person or business entity when the action is based on race, color, religion, gender, or national origin of the targeted person or entity or is based on the fact that the boycotted person or entity is doing business in a jurisdiction with which this state can enjoy open trade and with which the targeted person or entity is doing business.
(2) Business entity. A corporation, partnership, limited liability company, organization, or other legal entity conducting or operating any trade or business in Alabama or a corporation, organization, or other legal entity operating in Alabama that is exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) or (4) of the Internal Revenue Code.
(3) Governmental entity. The state or any political subdivision thereof, or any department, agency, board, commission, or authority of the state, or any political subdivision, or any public corporation, authority, agency, board, commission, state college, or university, municipality, or other governmental entity controlled by the state or any political subdivision.
(4) Jurisdiction with which this state can enjoy open trade. Includes World Trade Organization members and those with which the United States has free trade or other agreements aimed at ensuring open and nondiscriminatory trade relations.
(b) Subject to subsection (c), a governmental entity may not enter into a contract governed by Title 39 or Chapter 16, Title 41, with a business entity unless the contract includes a representation that the business entity is not currently engaged in, and an agreement that the business entity will not engage in, the boycott of a person or an entity based in or doing business with a jurisdiction with which this state can enjoy open trade.
(c)(1) This section does not apply if a business fails to meet the requirements of subsection (b) but offers to provide the goods or services for at least 20 percent less than the lowest certifying business entity.
(2) This section does not apply to contracts with a total potential value of less than fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).
(d) Nothing in this section requires a business entity or individual to do business with any other particular business entity or individual in order to enter into a contract with a governmental entity.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alabama Code Title 41. State Government § 41-16-5 - last updated December 30, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-41-state-government/al-code-sect-41-16-5.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?