Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
The following words and phrases, when used in this article, shall have the following meanings:
(1) Commissioner. The state Commissioner of Revenue.
(2) Department. The Department of Revenue.
(3) Distributor. Any person engaged in the business of selling or distributing new motor vehicles to new motor vehicle dealers.
(4) Facilitator. Any person or his or her designee who facilitates an off-site sale licensed under Section 40-12-395. The term may include the owner of the property where the off-site sale is being conducted.
(5) Manufacturer. Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing or assembling new and unused motor vehicles.
(6) Master dealer license. The license issued by the department pursuant to this article.
(7) Motor vehicle. Any motor vehicle as defined in Section 40-12-240, but the term shall not include any trailer not required to have a certificate of title.
(8) Motor vehicle rebuilder. Any person engaged in the business of making or causing to be made extensive repairs, replacements, or combination of different motor vehicles to the extent of extinguishing the identity of the original vehicle to the extent that the finished motor vehicle may be assigned a new identification to be issued by the department under Chapter 8 of Title 32. The term also includes any person engaged in the business of refurbishing, repairing, or replacing damaged parts of motor vehicles for the purpose of preparing the vehicle for resale under the same identification and identity as the vehicle had before the refurbishing.
(9) Motor vehicle wholesaler. Any person engaged in the business of buying, selling, or exchanging motor vehicles at wholesale to motor vehicle dealers, as defined in this article, and not to the public.
(10) New motor vehicle. A motor vehicle, other than a used motor vehicle, the legal title of which has never been transferred by a manufacturer, distributor, or new motor vehicle dealer to an ultimate purchaser.
(11) New motor vehicle dealer. Any person that holds a bona fide contract or franchise in this state in effect with a manufacturer or distributor of new motor vehicles and is engaged in the business of selling, advertising, or negotiating the sale of new motor vehicles or new and used motor vehicles, and the duly licensed new motor vehicle dealers shall be the sole and only persons entitled, other than in connection with the rental or leasing of new motor vehicles by persons engaged in the business of motor vehicle rental and leasing, to sell and publicly or otherwise solicit and advertise for sale new motor vehicles. The term also includes a motor vehicle rebuilder and motor vehicle wholesaler as defined in this article.
(12) Permanent location. A building or structure from which sales of motor vehicles are conducted. The building or structure must be owned, rented, or leased and must be used as an office and a place to receive mail, keep records, and conduct routine business, to include utilities under the name of the licensed business or the business owner.
(13) PERSON. As defined in Section 40-12-240.
(14) Used motor vehicle. A motor vehicle, the legal title of which has been transferred by a manufacturer, distributor, or new motor vehicle dealer to an ultimate purchaser.
(15) Used motor vehicle dealer. Any person engaged in the business of buying, selling, exchanging, advertising, or negotiating the sale of five or more motor vehicles, not previously titled or registered in the person's name, at retail during a calendar year or in offering or displaying motor vehicles for sale at retail to the public. The term “selling” or “sale” shall include lease-purchase transactions. The term “used motor vehicle dealer” does not include banks, credit unions, licensees of the State Banking Department, and finance companies which acquire motor vehicles as an incident to their regular business and does not include motor vehicle rental and leasing companies. The term also includes a motor vehicle rebuilder and motor vehicle wholesaler as defined in this article.
(16) Ultimate purchaser. With respect to a new motor vehicle, the first person, other than a new motor vehicle dealer purchasing in his or her capacity as a new motor vehicle dealer, who in good faith purchases the new motor vehicle for purposes other than resale. The term does not include a person who purchases a vehicle for purposes of altering or remanufacturing the motor vehicle for future resale.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alabama Code Title 40. Revenue and Taxation § 40-12-390 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-40-revenue-and-taxation/al-code-sect-40-12-390.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.