Skip to main content

Alabama Code Title 36. Public Officers and Employees § 36-27-91

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) The Board of Control of the Employees' Retirement System shall determine annually the amount required to pay the cost of the increased allowance provided under Sections 36-27-87 and 36-27-89 and shall notify the chief fiscal officer of each employer the percentum rates of earnable compensation of the members required to be paid to the retirement system. Each employer of members of the Employees' Retirement System of Alabama shall pay on account of the increases provided in Sections 36-27-87 and 36-27-89 in the same manner and from the same source of funds as provided in Sections 36-27-24 and 36-27-7, it being the intent of the Legislature that the cost of providing the increases in Sections 36-27-87 and 36-27-89 shall be distributed from all funds in proportion to the salaries paid therefrom for active members.

(b) No person whose retirement is from a unit participating under Section 36-27-6 shall be entitled to the increased benefits provided in Section 36-27-88, unless such employer elects to come under the provision of said section. Any employer making such election must bear the cost of cost-of-living increases paid to its former employees pursuant to this section. Any employer participating under Section 36-27-6 may elect to come under the provisions of this section at the beginning of any subsequent fiscal year and such employer shall not be required to pay said cost-of-living increase retroactively.

Cite this article: - Alabama Code Title 36. Public Officers and Employees § 36-27-91 - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard