(a) The following persons shall be ineligible to and disqualified from holding office under the authority of this state:
(1) Those who are not qualified electors, except as otherwise expressly provided;
(2) Those who have not been inhabitants of the state, county, district or circuit for the period required by the constitution and laws of the state;
(3) Those who shall have been convicted of treason, embezzlement of public funds, malfeasance in office, larceny, bribery or any other crime punishable by imprisonment in the state or federal penitentiary and those who are idiots or insane;
(4) Those against whom there is a judgment unpaid for any moneys received by them in any official capacity due to the United States, this state or any county or municipality thereof; and
(5) Soldiers, seamen or marines in the regular Army or Navy of the United States.
(b) No person holding an office of profit under the United States shall, during his continuance in such office, hold any office of profit under this state, nor shall any person hold two offices of profit at one and the same time under this state, except constables, notaries public and commissioners of deeds.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alabama Code Title 36. Public Officers and Employees § 36-2-1 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-36-public-officers-and-employees/al-code-sect-36-2-1.html
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.