This chapter shall not apply to any of the following vehicles or operators:
(1) Trailers as defined in Section 40-12-240 , including, but not limited to, semitrailers, travel trailers, boat trailers, pole trailers, and utility trailers.
(2) Motor vehicles owned and operated by the United States or any agency thereof, the State of Alabama, or any political or governmental subdivision thereof.
(3) Any motor vehicle which is subject to the supervision and regulation of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration or the Alabama Public Service Commission and for which the owner and/or operator has filed evidence of financial responsibility, the liability under which is not less than that required of the operator of a motor vehicle under the terms of this chapter.
(4) Motor vehicles covered by a certificate of self-insurance issued by the director under the provisions of Section 32-7-34 .
(5) Other motor vehicles complying with laws which require the vehicles to be insured in amounts meeting or exceeding the minimum amounts required under Section 32-7-6(c) .
(6) Implements of husbandry as defined in Section 32-8-2(5) .
(7) Any vehicle moved solely by animal power.
(8) Special mobile equipment, as defined in Section 32-8-2(20) .
(9) Inoperable or stored motor vehicles that are not operated, as defined by rules and regulations of the department and not subject to the provisions of Section 32-7A-7 .
(10) Motor vehicles owned by a licensed motor vehicle dealer, wholesaler, rebuilder, or reconditioner and held in inventory that are covered by a blanket liability insurance policy or commercial automobile liability insurance policy.
(11) Vehicles properly registered in another jurisdiction and not legally required to be registered pursuant to Chapter 12 of Title 40.
(12) Vehicles owned by a bank, a subsidiary or affiliate of a bank, or finance company, acquired as an incident to their regular business, that are covered by a blanket liability insurance policy or commercial automobile liability insurance policy.
(13) Vehicles as prescribed by the commissioner that are covered by a blanket liability insurance policy or commercial automobile liability insurance policy.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.