Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
The authority is hereby authorized:
(1) To undertake research and studies and analyses of housing needs in Mobile and Washington Counties, and means by which such needs may be met, including data with respect to population and family groups and the distribution thereof according to income groups, the amount and quality of available housing and its distribution according to rental and sales prices, and employment, wages and other factors affecting the local housing needs and the meeting thereof, and make the results and analyses available to the public and the building, housing, and supply industries;
(2) To enter into contracts with cities, towns, counties, and other housing authorities in the state for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this chapter;
(3) To establish rentals and select tenants in low income rental housing projects under its jurisdiction;
(4) To issue bonds, notes, and other evidence of indebtedness for the purpose of financing the construction of housing for low-income persons;
(5) To obtain, rent, lease, or otherwise obtain from any county, city, or state, properties of such public bodies as are offered for use to the authority for the purpose of providing housing to low-income persons and families in Indian areas;
(6) To enter into contracts and agreements with agents of the United States government for the purpose of purchasing land, acquiring, constructing, renovating, providing streets, utilities, and landscaping grounds for rental and other housing for low-income persons and families in designated Indian areas; and
(7) All powers, rights, and functions specified for municipal housing authorities created pursuant to Sections 24-1-20 through 24-1-45.
All provisions of law applicable to housing authorities created pursuant to Title 24 for municipalities and the commissioner of such authorities shall be applicable to the Mowa Choctaw Housing Authority, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context.
The tribal chairman and the tribal council of the Mowa Band of Choctaw Indians is hereby authorized to exercise all appointing and other powers with respect to an Indian housing authority that are vested in the chief executive officer and governing body of a municipality pursuant to Title 24 with respect to municipal housing authorities.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alabama Code Title 24. Housing § 24-7-3 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-24-housing/al-code-sect-24-7-3.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?