Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
When used in this article, the following words and phrases shall have the following respective meanings unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) Authority. The Alabama Federal Aid Highway Finance Authority, a public corporation and instrumentality of the state authorized to be organized under the provisions of this article.
(2) Board of directors. The board of directors of the authority.
(3) Bonds. The bonds, including refunding bonds issued to refund outstanding obligations, that in this article are authorized to be sold and issued by the authority.
(4) Corporation. The authority.
(5) Highway gasoline tax. The excise tax levied under subdivision (1) of subsection (a) of Section 40-17-325, with the exception of those portions of the tax levied on aviation fuel and marine gasoline.
(6) Legislature. The Legislature of Alabama.
(7) Net gasoline tax proceeds. The entire proceeds from the highway gasoline tax less the cost of collection and less any refunds of the proceeds pursuant to the provisions of Article 12 of Chapter 17 of Title 40.
(8) Note. The authority's promise to pay solely from the funds provided by this article which has a specified maturity date not later than three years after its date, which recites on its face that it is issued in anticipation of the sale by the authority of bonds and which is payable to the order of a named payee.
(9) Obligations. Any bonds, temporary bonds or notes authorized by this article to be issued by the authority.
(10) State. The State of Alabama.
(11) State’s share of net gasoline tax proceeds. The portion of the net gasoline tax proceeds allocated and appropriated for state highway purposes in Section 40-17-359, less such amounts as are allocated by such statute to other specific uses.
(12) Temporary bond. Any bond issued under this article which has a specified maturity date not later than three years after its date and which recites on its face that it is issued in anticipation of the sale by the authority of bonds.
(13) Cost. As applied to any highway construction project, all costs of construction or acquisition of any part of any such highway construction project, including, but without limitation to, the costs of supervising, inspecting and constructing any such highway construction project and all costs and expenses incidental thereto, the costs of locating, surveying and mapping, resurfacing, restoration and rehabilitation, acquisition of rights-of-way, relocation assistance, elimination of hazards of railway-grade crossings, acquisition of replacement housing sites, acquisition, rehabilitation, relocation, and construction of replacement housing and improvements which directly facilitate and control traffic flow, including grade separation of intersections, widening of lanes, channelization of traffic, traffic-control systems and passenger loading and unloading areas, and any other cost of any federal aid projects which is to be repaid or reimbursed to the state by the United States of America pursuant to the written agreement provided for in Section 23-1-313.
(14) Federal aid project. Any road, street, parkway, right of way, bridge, railroad crossing, terminal, drainage structure, sign, guardrail, structure, interstate, surface, resurface, shoulder, roadside, or any other work eligible for federal aid funding assistance under Title 23, Chapter 1, of the United States Code and applicable regulations.
(15) Federal share. That portion of the cost of any federal aid projects which is to be repaid or reimbursed to the state by the United States of America pursuant to the written agreement provided for in Section 23-1-313.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alabama Code Title 23. Highways, Roads, Bridges, and Ferries § 23-1-301 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-23-highways-roads-bridges-and-ferries/al-code-sect-23-1-301/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?