Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
The Legislature hereby finds and declares:
(1) That outdoor advertising is a legitimate commercial use of private property adjacent to roads and highways;
(2) That the erection and maintenance of outdoor advertising signs, displays, and devices in areas adjacent to interstate highways and primary highways should be regulated in order to protect the public investment in such highways, to promote the recreational value of public travel, to preserve natural beauty, and to promote the reasonable, orderly, and effective display of such signs, displays, and devices;
(3) That outdoor advertising is an integral part of the business and marketing function and an established segment of the national economy and should be allowed to operate in business areas;
(4) Regulatory standards set forth in Section 23-1-274 are consistent with customary use in this state and will properly and adequately carry out each and all of the purposes of this division; and
(5) Motorist directional signs are essential to the economic interests of the state and the interests of the traveling public; therefore, no motorist directional sign not otherwise permitted under Section 23-1-273 shall be removed on a statewide basis, unless by mutual agreement between the sign owner and the State Department of Transportation, until all other nonconforming signs are removed.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alabama Code Title 23. Highways, Roads, Bridges, and Ferries § 23-1-272 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-23-highways-roads-bridges-and-ferries/al-code-sect-23-1-272/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.