Alabama Code Title 22. Health, Mental Health, and Environmental Control § 22-27-5

(a) Fees, etc.;  mutual agreements or contracts.  The county commission or municipality undertaking the responsibility for providing services to the public under this article may establish fees, charges and rates and may collect and disburse funds within cooperating areas or districts, inside or outside the corporate limits of municipalities or inside or outside of county boundaries, for the specific purpose of administering this article and providing and operating a solid waste program.  Also, said county commission or public authority may enter into mutual agreements or contracts with the government bodies of other counties, municipalities, corporations or individuals, where deemed to be mutually economical and feasible, to jointly or individually collect, haul and/or dispose of solid wastes generated within the cooperating area.  All contracts or mutual agreements under this article shall be subject to review by the health officer, and all such contracts and agreements shall be subject to cancellation upon 30 days' notice from said health officer with the concurrence of the department, any time said contracts or agreements fail to be in the best interest of the health, safety and welfare of the citizens residing in the affected area.

(b) Private or corporate agencies.  Individuals, corporations, partnerships or other agencies engaging in the collection and disposal of solid wastes are subject to this article.  Governing bodies may assign territories, approve or disapprove disposal sites, with the concurrence of the health department, and shall establish and collect annual license fees from such firms and set rate schedules if a service fee is charged.  In addition to any other approvals which are necessary for any contract between private or corporate agencies and governmental entities for the disposal of solid wastes, approval of the department shall be obtained.

(c) Permits and bonds.  Under subsection (b) of this section, no license shall be granted or fee collected without a permit issued by the state or county health department, renewable annually at the time licenses are due.  Such permit shall be based upon performance and may be revoked for cause, including failure to perform under the provisions of this article and regulations adopted under authority of this article.  No license shall be granted without the posting of a performance bond satisfactory to the governing body.  All solid waste disposal sites except those which have certificates of exception shall have a permit from the department.

(d) Financial assurance.  No permit for transportation of garbage by out-of-state transporters, for disposal of such garbage in a sanitary landfill in this state, shall be issued unless financial assurance is posted by such transporter with the health department.

The financial assurance shall be in an amount not less than $250,000 and must guarantee that such garbage does not contain any regulated hazardous waste, infectious waste, or explosive materials or debris.  The financial assurance shall be provided in accordance with acceptable financial assurance instruments which include but are not limited to an escrow account, performance bond, or letter of credit.  The health department shall promulgate regulations specifying the terms and conditions of financial assurance instruments, as appropriate.

(e) Nonpayment of fees, etc.  Any county commission or municipality establishing fees, charges and rates pursuant to subsection (a) of this section shall have the power and authority to adopt resolutions or ordinances providing that if the fees, charges or rates for the services furnished by the county commission or municipality, or licensee of either, under the provisions of said chapter, shall not be paid within 30 days after the same shall become due and payable, such county commission or municipality may, at the expiration of such 30-day period, suspend such services or may proceed to recover the amount of any such delinquency with interest in a civil action, or both.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.