Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Dental service plan contracts may be written on individual, group, blanket or franchise basis. Each contractual obligation for such dental service(s) must be evidenced by a contract. Each person covered under a group contract must be issued a certificate of coverage.
(b) No contract or certificate of dental service benefits may be issued in this state unless a copy of the form has been filed and approved by the commissioner.
(c) The commissioner may not approve any form that does not meet the following requirements:
(1) Contracts must contain a list and description of the dental service payments promised or the dental work for which expenses are to be reimbursed, and any limits on the amounts to be paid or reimbursed;
(2) Contracts and certificates must indicate the name of the dental service plan corporation and the full address of its principal place of business;
(3) Certificates issued under group contracts must contain a full statement of the services to be provided and exceptions thereto but may summarize the other terms of the master contract;
(4) Contracts promising payment for dental services to be provided by a limited number of dentists who have concluded provider contracts with the dental service corporation whether the dentist in an individual case is to be selected by the subscriber or by the corporation, must provide for alternative benefits in the case where the subscriber is unable to find a participating dentist willing to perform the promised services or the dentist selected by the corporation is disqualified or otherwise unable to perform the promised services; the alternative benefit may consist of furnishing the services of a dentist selected and paid by the corporation or paying the fee of a dentist selected by the subscriber; the contract must also provide a procedure that includes impartial review for settling disagreements about the grounds for demanding an alternative benefit;
(5) Contracts must contain a statement that the subscriber has a right to complain to the Alabama Board of Dental Examiners about a dentist's conduct pursuant to either the plan or recognized standards of ethical and professional code of conduct;
(6) Contracts must contain a statement that the individual subscriber has the right to retain, at his own expense, any dentist authorized to practice dentistry in this state.
(d) The department may disapprove a contract or certificate form if it finds that it:
(1) Is unfair, unfairly discriminatory, misleading, ambiguous or encourages misrepresentation or misunderstanding of the contract;
(2) Contains provisions that would endanger the solvency of the corporation;
(3) Is contrary to law.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alabama Code Title 22. Health, Mental Health, and Environmental Control § 22-21-371 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-22-health-mental-health-and-environmental-control/al-code-sect-22-21-371/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.