Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The State Board of Education shall establish a Council on Adult Education prior to October 1, 1991. The membership of the council shall be as follows:
(1) The Governor or his designated representative;
(2) The State Superintendent of Education;
(3) The Chancellor of the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education;
(4) The Executive Director of the Alabama Commission on Higher Education;
(5) A member of, as selected by, the Alabama Council for School Administration and Supervision;
(6) A member of, as selected by, the Alabama Association of School Boards;
(7) A member of, as selected by, the Alabama Education Association;
(8) A member of, as selected by, the Alabama Parent Teacher Association;
(9) The Director of the Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs;
(10) The Governor's education liaison; and
(11) Five members of the business/professional community appointed by the Governor.
(b) The Council on Adult Education, created by this section, shall:
(1) Develop long-range recommendations, for submission to the Legislature and the State Board of Education, designed to establish a coordinated system of adult education in the State of Alabama, including a full assessment of the costs of any such recommendations;
(2) Develop recommendations, for submission to the Legislature and the State Board of Education, designed to coordinate existing adult education programs offered by the State of Alabama through different agencies;
(3) Inventory all existing adult education programs in the State of Alabama and recommend to the Legislature and the State Board of Education whether such programs should be abolished, expanded, or continued at present levels;
(4) Develop recommendations, for submission to the Legislature and the State Board of Education, to encourage business and industry to employ participants in adult education programs;
(5) Establish priorities and performance standards prior to December 31, 1992, and design measurement devices and procedures to determine level of accomplishing specific objectives; and
(6) Complete the above directives and submit a written annual report to the Legislature and the State Board of Education beginning with the 1993 Regular Session of the Legislature.
(c) The Council on Adult Education, created by this section, shall be provided with support staff by the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education and the State Department of Education.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alabama Code Title 16. Education § 16-34-5 - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-16-education/al-code-sect-16-34-5/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?