(a) Each person who makes a delivery sale shall collect and remit to the department all excise taxes imposed by this state with respect to the delivery and maintain evidence of the payment unless the person is located outside the state and includes a statement on the outside of the shipping package stating: “Alabama law requires the payment of state taxes on this shipment of cigarettes. You are legally responsible for all applicable unpaid taxes on these cigarettes.”
(b) A statement meets the requirements of this section if the following occur:
(1) The statement is clear and conspicuous.
(2) The statement is contained in a printed box set apart from the shipping label and other markings contained on the shipping package.
(3) The statement is printed in bold capital letters.
(4) The statement is printed with a degree of color contrast between the background and the printed statement that is no less than the color contrast between the background and the largest text used on the shipping label.
(5) The statement is located on the same side of the shipping package as the shipping label.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.