Alabama Code Title 13A. Criminal Code § 13A-11-270
Search Code of Alabama
(a) For the purposes of this section, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) Airbag. A motor vehicle inflatable occupant restraint system or any component thereof that satisfies both of the following:
a. Operates in the event of a crash.
b. Was designed in accordance with all applicable federal safety standards for the specific make, model, and year of the motor vehicle in which it is or will be installed.
(2) Counterfeit airbag. A replacement motor vehicle inflatable occupant restraint system or any component thereof displaying a mark identical or similar to the genuine mark of a motor vehicle manufacturer without authorization from the manufacturer.
(3) Nonfunctional airbag. A replacement motor vehicle inflatable occupant restraint system or any component thereof that satisfies any of the following:
a. Was previously deployed or damaged.
b. Has a fault that is detected by the vehicle diagnostic system after the installation procedure is completed.
c. Includes any part or object, including, but not limited to, a counterfeit airbag, a nonfunctional airbag, or a repaired airbag cover, installed in a motor vehicle to mislead the owner or operator of such motor vehicle into believing that a functional airbag has been installed.
(b) A person commits the offense of airbag fraud if the person knowingly and intentionally as defined in Section 13A-2-2 , does any of the following:
(1) Manufactures, imports, sells, offers for sale, installs, or reinstalls a counterfeit airbag, a nonfunctional airbag, or any other device to replace an airbag that the person knew was not designed in accordance with all applicable federal safety standards for the make, model, and year of the motor vehicle.
(2) Installs a used airbag in a motor vehicle and fails to disclose to the owner or lessee that a used airbag has been installed.
(3) Sells any device, or installs or reinstalls in any vehicle any device, that causes the vehicle's diagnostic system to inaccurately indicate that the vehicle is equipped with a functional airbag when a counterfeit airbag, nonfunctional airbag, or no airbag is installed.
(4) Installs or requests another to install a counterfeit airbag or nonfunctional airbag and sells or offers to sell the vehicle to another person with the intent to deceive the purchaser about the existence of the counterfeit airbag or nonfunctional airbag in the vehicle.
(c) Airbag fraud is a Class A misdemeanor. If the fraud contributes to a person's serious physical injury or death, airbag fraud is a Class C felony.
Read this complete Alabama Code Title 13A. Criminal Code § 13A-11-270 on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.