Skip to main content

Alabama Code Title 12. Courts § 12-19-54

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) If the taxation of costs by a probate court is excessive by charging the costs of witnesses who were not examined, by charging costs to an improper party or by taxing costs contrary to law, the party aggrieved may move the court for a retaxation, setting forth the particulars in which the clerk has erred. This section shall apply to costs taxed in probate courts in all cases and proceedings where such courts have jurisdiction, and any aggrieved party to any case or proceeding may move the circuit court in the county where such case or proceeding is pending for a retaxation of such costs, setting forth the particulars wherein such probate court costs were improperly taxed. Such motion may be heard on five days' notice to the officers or persons claiming said fees or costs, and the same shall be passed on by the judge as other motions are heard and passed upon. From a judgment or order refusing or granting any motion made under this section, an appeal lies to the Supreme Court as in other cases.

(b) If execution has issued in any such case, the party complaining thereof, or his attorney, may file a written application with the clerk, which must be spread upon the motion docket, for a retaxation of the costs, setting forth in what the alleged error consists, and the clerk must issue an order to the sheriff directing him to abstain from the collection of the disputed items of cost until the further order of the court on said application for a retaxation thereof.

Cite this article: - Alabama Code Title 12. Courts § 12-19-54 - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard