Alabama Code Title 12. Courts § 12-16-150

It is good ground for challenge of a juror by either party:

(1) That the person has not been a resident householder or freeholder of the county for the last preceding six months.

(2) That he is not a citizen of Alabama.

(3) That he has been indicted within the last 12 months for felony or an offense of the same character as that with which the defendant is charged.

(4) That he is connected by consanguinity within the ninth degree, or by affinity within the fifth degree, computed according to the rules of the civil law, either with the defendant or with the prosecutor or the person alleged to be injured.

(5) That he has been convicted of a felony.

(6) That he has an interest in the conviction or acquittal of the defendant or has made any promise or given any assurance that he will convict or acquit the defendant.

(7) That he has a fixed opinion as to the guilt or innocence of the defendant which would bias his verdict.

(8) That he is under 19 years of age.

(9) That he is of unsound mind.

(10) That he is a witness for the other party.

(11) That the juror, in any civil case, is plaintiff or defendant in a case which stands for trial during the week he is challenged or is related by consanguinity within the ninth degree or by affinity within the fifth degree, computed according to the rules of the civil law, to any attorney in the case to be tried or is a partner in business with any party to such case.

(12) That the juror, in any civil case, is an officer, employee or stockholder of or, in case of a mutual company, is the holder of a policy of insurance with an insurance company indemnifying any party to the case against liability in whole or in part or holding a subrogation claim to any portion of the proceeds of the claim sued on or being otherwise financially interested in the result of the case.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard