Skip to main content

Alabama Constitution of 1901 Local Amendments Jackson County § 6

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

The legislature may, by general or local law, provide for the creation, incorporation, organization, operation, administration, authority and financing of the Jackson county water authority in all or in portions of Jackson county as a public corporation to provide any one or more of the following local public services:  Obtain, treat, and furnish water for residential, commercial or industrial purposes and for any other local service permitted by such general or local law;  authorize such authority to fix and collect rates, fees and charges for such services, and to provide penalties for nonpayment and liens upon the property within such public water authority;  grant or vest the privilege of eminent domain to such public water authority for the purpose of taking property for public use in accordance with Article XII, Section 235, of the Constitution of Alabama of 1901;  authorize the borrowing of money and the issuance of bonds and other obligations by or on behalf of such public water authority, provided that Jackson county shall not be responsible for any such bond or obligation and no such bond or obligation shall be chargeable against the limit on the debt of Jackson county;  and extend the service area into one or more other counties. Any law enacted at the 1989 regular session of the legislature to authorize the creation of such authority in Jackson county and to implement this amendment to the Constitution (whether with or without published notice of intention) shall become effective upon the ratification of this amendment.

Cite this article: - Alabama Constitution of 1901 Local Amendments Jackson County § 6 - last updated December 30, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard