Skip to main content

Alaska Statutes Title 46. Water, Air, Energy, and Environmental Conservation § 46.03.476. Ocean Rangers

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) An owner or operator of a large commercial passenger vessel entering the marine waters of the state is required to have an ocean ranger hired or retained by the department on board the vessel to act as an independent observer for the purpose of monitoring state and federal requirements pertaining to marine discharge and pollution requirements and to insure that passengers, crew, and residents at ports are protected from improper sanitation, health, and safety practices.

(b) The ocean ranger shall monitor, observe, and record data and information related to the engineering, sanitation, and health related operations of the vessel, including but not limited to registration, reporting, record-keeping, and discharge functions required by state and federal law.

(c) Any information recorded or gathered by the ocean ranger shall be promptly conveyed to the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation and the United States Coast Guard on a form or in a manner approved by the commissioner of environmental conservation.  The commissioner may share information gathered with other state and federal agencies.

(d) In this section, “ocean ranger” means

(1) a marine engineer licensed by the United States Coast Guard;  or

(2) a person who holds a degree in marine safety and environmental protection, or an equivalent course of study approved by the department, from an accredited maritime educational institution.

Cite this article: - Alaska Statutes Title 46. Water, Air, Energy, and Environmental Conservation § 46.03.476. Ocean Rangers - last updated April 21, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard