Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
All unpaid compensation due to a deceased employee of the state at the time of death shall be paid to the person or persons surviving at the date of death, in the following order of precedence, and the payment is a bar to recovery by any other person of amounts so paid:
(1) to the beneficiary or beneficiaries designated by the employee in writing to receive the compensation filed with Department of Administration at the time of death; if more than one beneficiary is designated, each shall share equally unless the employee specifies a different allocation or preference;
(2) if there is no beneficiary designated, to the surviving spouse;
(3) if there is no beneficiary or surviving spouse, to the employee's child or children and descendants of deceased children by representation;
(4) if none of the above, to the employee's parents, or the survivor of them;
(5) if none of the above, to the legal representative of the employee's estate, or if there is none, to the person determined to be entitled under the laws of the employee's domicile.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 39. Public Officers and Employees § 39.20.360. Ordinancer of payment - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-39-public-officers-and-employees/ak-st-sect-39-20-360.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.