Alaska Statutes Title 34. Property § 34.15.010. Manner of executing conveyances

(a) A conveyance of land, or of an estate or interest in land, may be made by deed, signed and sealed by the person from whom the estate or interest is intended to pass, who is of lawful age, or by the lawful agent or attorney of the person, and acknowledged or proved, and recorded as directed in this chapter, without any other act or ceremony whatever.

(b) In a deed or conveyance of the family home or homestead by a married man or a married woman, the husband and wife shall join in the deed or conveyance.

(c) The requirement that a spouse of a married person join in a deed or conveyance of the family home or homestead does not create a proprietary right, title, or interest in the spouse not otherwise vested in the spouse.

(d) Failure of the spouse to join in the deed or conveyance does not affect the validity of the deed or conveyance, unless the spouse appears on the title.  The deed or conveyance is sufficient in law to convey the legal title to the premises described in it from the grantor to the grantee when the deed or conveyance is otherwise sufficient, and

(1) no suit is filed in a court of record in the judicial district in which the land is located within one year from the date of recording of the deed or conveyance by the spouse who failed to join in the deed or conveyance to have the deed or conveyance set aside, altered, changed, or reformed;  or

(2) the spouse whose interest in the property is affected does not record, within one year in the office of the recorder for the recording district where the property is situated, a notice of an interest in the property.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard