Alaska Statutes Title 27. Mining § 27.21.170. Request and release of performance bonds or deposits
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Alaska Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) A permittee may file a request with the commissioner for the release of all or part of the permittee's performance bonds or deposit. The permittee shall give notice in the manner set out in AS 38.05.945(b) and (c) except as provided by regulations adopted under this chapter.
(b) Within 30 days after receipt of a request under (a) of this section or within a longer period required by field conditions, the commissioner shall inspect and evaluate the reclamation work involved. In the evaluation, the commissioner shall consider the degree of difficulty to complete the reclamation, whether pollution of surface or subsurface water is occurring, the probability of continuance of the pollution, and the estimated cost of abating the pollution. Within 60 days after receipt of the request, or if a hearing relating to the request is conducted under (g) of this section, within 30 days after the hearing, whichever is later, the commissioner shall notify the permittee, in writing, of the decision to release or not to release all or part of the performance bond or deposit.
(c) The commissioner shall release all or part of the bond or deposit in accordance with the following schedule if the commissioner is satisfied that the reclamation or part of the reclamation covered by the bond or deposit has been accomplished as required by this chapter:
(1) if the permittee completes the backfilling, regrading, and drainage control of all or part of a permit area according to the reclamation plan, the commissioner shall release 60 percent of the bond or deposit covering the area;
(2) if the permittee completes revegetation of all or part of the permit area according to the reclamation plan, the commissioner shall release the balance of the bond or deposit covering the revegetated area except for an amount that would be necessary to hire a third party to reestablish revegetation;
(3) if the permittee successfully completes all of the surface coal mining and reclamation activities required by this chapter and the terms of the permit, the commissioner shall release the remaining portion of the bond after expiration of the period of time of the permittee's responsibility under the performance standards established by regulation under AS 27.21.210; however, a bond or deposit may not be fully released until all reclamation requirements are fully met.
(d) The commissioner may not release all or part of a bond or deposit under (c)(2) of this section if
(1) the permit area or part of a permit area covered by the bond or deposit is in violation of the performance standards established by regulation under AS 27.21.210; or
(2) a silt dam is to be retained as a permanent water impoundment under the performance standards established by regulation under AS 27.21.210 and the permittee has not, in the determination of the commissioner, made adequate provisions for the sound future maintenance of the silt dam.
(e) If the commissioner disapproves a request filed under (a) of this section, the commissioner shall notify the permittee of the decision in writing. The notice must include the reasons for the disapproval, a description of the actions necessary to secure the release, and notification of the permittee's right to a hearing under (g) of this section.
(f) If a request is filed with the commissioner under (a) of this section, the commissioner shall notify the appropriate municipality, if any, at least 30 days before the release of all or part of the bond or deposit.
(g) A person with a valid legal interest that might be adversely affected by release of a bond or deposit under this section or a federal, state, or municipal agency that has jurisdiction over an environmental, social, or economic impact involved in the permittee's operation or that has authority to develop and enforce environmental standards with respect to the permittee's operation, may, within 30 days after the last publication of notice required by (a) of this section, file written objections to the request with the commissioner and may request a hearing. A permittee whose request for release of all or part of a bond or deposit is disapproved may request a hearing within 30 days after receipt of written notification of the disapproval under (e) of this section. If a hearing is requested, the commissioner shall inform the interested parties of the time and place of the hearing and shall hold the hearing within 30 days after the request for the hearing. The commissioner shall publish the date, time, and location of the hearing in a newspaper of general circulation in the locality for two consecutive weeks. The commissioner shall conduct the public hearing and any appeal according to AS 44.62 (Administrative Procedure Act) except as provided by regulations adopted under this chapter.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 27. Mining § 27.21.170. Request and release of performance bonds or deposits - last updated January 01, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-27-mining/ak-st-sect-27-21-170.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?