Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) After compliance with AS 21.86.200, the director may suspend or revoke a certificate of authority issued to a health maintenance organization under this chapter if
(1) the health maintenance organization is operating significantly in contravention of its basic organizational document or in a manner contrary to that described in other information submitted under AS 21.86.010 or 21.86.020;
(2) the health maintenance organization issues an evidence of coverage, or uses a schedule of charges for health care services, that does not comply with the requirements of AS 21.86.070;
(3) the health maintenance organization does not provide or arrange for the provision of basic health care services;
(4) the health maintenance organization is not in compliance with state and federal statutes and regulations as required under AS 21.86.010(b)(12), or is unable to fulfill its obligations to furnish health care services;
(5) the health maintenance organization is no longer financially responsible and may reasonably be expected to be unable to meet its obligations to enrollees or prospective enrollees;
(6) the health maintenance organization has failed to implement a mechanism affording the enrollees an opportunity to participate in matters of policy and operation under AS 21.86.040;
(7) the health maintenance organization has failed to implement the complaint system required by AS 21.86.100 in a reasonable manner to resolve valid complaints;
(8) the health maintenance organization, or any person on its behalf, has advertised or merchandised its services in an untrue, misrepresentative, misleading, deceptive, or unfair manner;
(9) the continued operation of the health maintenance organization would be hazardous to its enrollees;
(10) the health maintenance organization has otherwise failed substantially to comply with this chapter.
(b) If the certificate of authority of a health maintenance organization is suspended, the health maintenance organization may not, during the period of the suspension, enroll additional enrollees except newborn children or other newly acquired dependents of existing enrollees, and may not engage in advertising or solicitation. The director may, by written order, specify limitations in the operation of the organization during the period of suspension as the director finds to be in the best interests of enrollees.
(c) If the certificate of authority of a health maintenance organization is revoked, the organization shall, immediately following the effective date of the order of revocation, proceed to wind up its affairs, and may not conduct further business except that essential to the orderly conclusion of the affairs of the organization. The organization may not engage in further advertising or solicitation. The director may, by written order, permit continued operation of the organization as the director finds to be in the best interest of enrollees, so that enrollees will be afforded the greatest practical opportunity to obtain continuing health care coverage.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 21. Insurance § 21.86.190. Suspension or revocation of certificate of authority - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-21-insurance/ak-st-sect-21-86-190.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?