Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) If an investigation of a complaint under AS 18.80.110 fails to discover substantial evidence of an unlawful discriminatory practice under this chapter, the executive director shall issue an order dismissing the complaint without prejudice.
(b) At any time before the issuance of an accusation under AS 18.80.120, the executive director may dismiss without prejudice a complaint if the executive director determines that
(1) the complainant's objection to a proposed agreement under AS 18.80.110 is unreasonable;
(2) the complainant is unavailable or unwilling to participate in a hearing;
(3) relief is precluded by the absence of the person alleged to have engaged in the discriminatory practice;
(4) the person aggrieved by the discriminatory practice has initiated or has notified in writing the commission of the intent to initiate an action or proceeding in another forum based on the same facts;
(5) a hearing will not represent the best use of commission resources;
(6) a hearing will not advance the purposes stated in AS 18.80.200; or
(7) the probability of success of the complaint on the merits is low.
(c) The commission, in its discretion, may, but is not required to, review the executive director's order of dismissal under (a) or (b) of this section and may affirm the order, remand the complaint for further investigation, or, if the commission concludes that substantial evidence supports the complaint of an unlawful discriminatory practice, refer the complaint for conference, conciliation, and persuasion as provided in AS 18.80.110, or for hearing.
(d) Dismissal under this section does not prevent a complainant from
(1) initiating an action or proceeding in another forum; or
(2) filing a new complaint under AS 18.80.100 that resolves the grounds for the dismissal under this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 18. Health, Safety, Housing, Human Rights, and Public Defender § 18.80.112. Dismissal of complaint without prejudice - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-18-health-safety-housing-human-rights-and-public-defender/ak-st-sect-18-80-112.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?