Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) An emergency medical technician who responds to an emergency with an ambulance service or first responder service, who has in the technician's possession a current emergency medical technician identification card, and who provides emergency medical care or other emergency medical service, has the authority to
(1) control and direct activities at the accident site or emergency until the arrival of law enforcement personnel;
(2) order a person other than the owner to leave a building or place in the vicinity of the accident or other emergency for the purpose of protecting the person from injury;
(3) temporarily block a public highway, street, or private right-of-way while at the scene of an accident, illness, or emergency;
(4) trespass upon property at or near the scene of an accident, illness, or emergency at any time of day or night;
(5) enter a building, including a private dwelling, or premises where a report of an injury or illness has taken place or where there is a reasonable cause to believe an individual has been injured or is ill to render emergency medical care; and
(6) direct the removal or destruction of a motor vehicle or other thing that the emergency medical technician determines is necessary to prevent further harm to injured or ill individuals.
(b) A person who knowingly refuses to comply with an order of an emergency medical technician authorized under (a) of this section is, upon conviction, guilty of a class B misdemeanor. In this subsection, “knowingly” has the meaning given in AS 11.81.900(a).
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 18. Health, Safety, Housing, Human Rights, and Public Defender § 18.08.075. Authority of emergency medical technician - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-18-health-safety-housing-human-rights-and-public-defender/ak-st-sect-18-08-075.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?