Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The McNeil River State Game Sanctuary is established to
(1) provide permanent protection for brown bear and other fish and wildlife populations and their habitats, so that these resources may be preserved for scientific, aesthetic, and educational purposes;
(2) manage human use and activities in a way that is compatible with (1) of this subsection and to maintain and enhance the unique bear viewing opportunities within the sanctuary; and
(3) provide opportunities that are compatible with (1) of this subsection for wildlife viewing, fisheries enhancement, and fishing, for temporary safe anchorage, and for other activities.
(b) Hunting and trapping within the McNeil River State Game Sanctuary are prohibited.
(c) The department and the Department of Natural Resources
(1) may not enter into sales of land within the McNeil River State Game Sanctuary;
(2) may enter into leases within the McNeil River State Game Sanctuary if the commissioner finds that activity conducted under the lease is compatible with the purposes for which the sanctuary is established;
(3) may not accept transfer of state selected land from the federal government, or conveyance of other land, within the sanctuary if the land is subject to
(A) a lease, easement, or other right to operate or maintain a private facility on the land or to conduct a private enterprise on the land; or
(B) a continuing trespass by an unauthorized private facility or private enterprise.
(d) The McNeil River State Game Sanctuary is closed to mineral entry under AS 38.05.185 - 38.05.275.
(e) The boards may adopt regulations governing access, entry, development, construction, fishing, and other uses and activities affecting the natural habitat, fish and wildlife, and public use of the McNeil River State Game Sanctuary.
(f) The commissioner shall prepare a report and notify the legislature of its availability by January 30 of each year on
(1) the status of the brown bears and other fish and wildlife resources within the McNeil River State Game Sanctuary; and
(2) the effects of fishing and fishery enhancement activity on these resources.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 16. Fish and Game § 16.20.162. Purpose; regulations - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-16-fish-and-game/ak-st-sect-16-20-162.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?