Alaska Statutes Title 13. Decedents' Estates, Guardianships, Transfers, Trusts, and Health Care Decisions § 13.16.670. Procedure for securing court approval of compromise

The procedure for securing court approval of a compromise is as follows:

(1) the terms of the compromise shall be set out in an agreement in writing that shall be executed by all competent persons and parents acting for any minor child having beneficial interests or having claims that will or may be affected by the compromise;  execution is not required by any person whose identity cannot be ascertained or whose whereabouts is unknown and cannot reasonably be ascertained;

(2) an interested person, including the personal representative, if any, or a trustee, then may submit the agreement to the court for its approval and for execution by the personal representative, the trustee of every affected testamentary trust, and other fiduciaries and representatives;

(3) after notice to all interested persons or their representatives, including the personal representative of any estate and all affected trustees of trusts, the court, if it finds that the contest or controversy is in good faith and that the effect of the agreement upon the interests of persons represented by fiduciaries or other representatives is just and reasonable, shall make an order approving the agreement and directing all fiduciaries under its supervision to execute the agreement;  minor children represented only by their parents may be bound only if their parents join with other competent persons in execution of the compromise;  upon the making of the order and the execution of the agreement, all further disposition of the estate is in accordance with the terms of the agreement.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.