(a) A person commits the crime of assault in the first degree if
(1) that person recklessly causes serious physical injury to another by means of a dangerous instrument;
(2) with intent to cause serious physical injury to another, the person causes serious physical injury to any person;
(3) the person knowingly engages in conduct that results in serious physical injury to another under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life;
(4) that person recklessly causes serious physical injury to another by repeated assaults using a dangerous instrument, even if each assault individually does not cause serious physical injury; or
(5) that person knowingly causes another to become unconscious by means of a dangerous instrument; in this paragraph, “dangerous instrument” has the meaning given in AS 11.81.900(b)(15)(B) .
(b) Assault in the first degree is a class A felony.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.