Alaska Statutes Title 10. Corporations and Associations § 10.06.970. Rules of construction and interpretation
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Alaska Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
Unless a provision or the context otherwise requires, the following general provisions and rules of construction govern this chapter:
(1) title, chapter, article, and section headings do not affect the scope, meaning, or intent of the provisions of this chapter;
(2) when, by the provisions of this chapter, a power is granted to, or a duty imposed upon, a public officer, the power may be exercised or the duty performed by a deputy of the officer or by a person authorized, under law, by the officer, unless this chapter expressly provides otherwise;
(3) when a notice, report, statement, or record is required or authorized by this chapter, it shall be made in writing in a manner reasonably calculated to communicate the notice, report, statement, or record to the recipient;
(4) a reference in this chapter to mailing means first-class mail, postage prepaid, unless certified mail is specified; certified mail includes registered mail;
(5) subject to a specific accounting treatment required by a particular section of this chapter,
(A) references in this chapter to financial statements, balance sheets, income statements, and statements of changes in financial position of a corporation and references to assets, liabilities, earnings, retained earnings, and similar accounting items of a corporation mean financial statements or items prepared fairly and reasonably to present the purported matters;
(B) financial statements prepared or determined in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles then applicable are fair and reasonable;
(C) references in this chapter to financial statements mean, in the case of a corporation that has subsidiaries, consolidated statements of the corporation and its subsidiaries, and all references to accounting items mean items determined on a consolidated basis in accordance with consolidated financial statements;
(6) a reference in this chapter to the time a notice is given or sent means, unless otherwise expressly provided, the time a written notice by mail is deposited in the United States mail, postage prepaid; or the time any other written notice is personally delivered to the recipient or is delivered to a common carrier for transmission, or actually transmitted by electronic means to the recipient by the person giving the notice; or the time an oral notice is communicated in person or by electronic means to the recipient or to a person at the office of the recipient whom the person giving the notice has reason to believe will promptly communicate it to the recipient;
(7) when reference is made to any portion of this chapter or of any other law of this state, the reference applies to all amendments and additions;
(8) “shall” is mandatory, “may” is permissive, and “may not” is prohibitory.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 10. Corporations and Associations § 10.06.970. Rules of construction and interpretation - last updated January 01, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-10-corporations-and-associations/ak-st-sect-10-06-970.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?