Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 521.246. Ignition Interlock Device Requirement
Search Texas Statutes
(a) If the person's license has been suspended after a conviction of an offense under Sections 49.04-49.08 49.08, Penal Code , the judge shall restrict the person to the operation of a motor vehicle equipped with an ignition interlock device .
(b) Redesignated in part into subsec. (a) and deleted in part by Acts 2015, 84th Leg., ch. 1067 (H.B. 2246), § 6.
(c) The person shall obtain the ignition interlock device at the person's own expense unless the court finds that to do so is not in the best interest of justice and enters that finding in the record. If the court determines that the person is unable to pay for the device, the court may impose a reasonable payment schedule for a term not to exceed twice the period of the court's order.
(d) The court shall order the ignition interlock device to remain installed for the duration of the period of suspension.
(e) A person to whom this section applies may operate a motor vehicle without the installation of an approved ignition interlock device if:
(1) the person is required to operate a motor vehicle in the course and scope of the person's employment;
(2) the vehicle is owned by the person's employer;
(3) the employer is not owned or controlled by the person whose driving privilege is restricted;
(4) the employer is notified of the driving privilege restriction; and
(5) proof of that notification is with the vehicle.
(f) A previous conviction may not be used for purposes of restricting a person to the operation of a motor vehicle equipped with an interlock ignition device under this section if:
(1) the previous conviction was a final conviction for an offense under Sections 49.04-49.08 49.08, Penal Code , and was for an offense committed more than 10 years before the instant offense for which the person was convicted; and
(2) the person has not been convicted of an offense under Sections 49.04-49.08 of that code committed within 10 years before the date on which the instant offense for which the person was convicted.
Read this complete Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 521.246. Ignition Interlock Device Requirement on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.