Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 521.204. Restrictions on Minor

(a) The department may issue a Class C driver's license to an applicant under 18 years of age only if the applicant:

(1) is 16 years of age or older;

(2) has submitted to the department a driver education certificate issued under Section 1001.055, Education Code , that states that the person has completed and passed a driver education course approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation;

(3) has obtained a high school diploma or its equivalent or is a student:

(A) enrolled in a public school, home school, or private school who attended school for at least 80 days in the fall or spring semester preceding the date of the driver's license application;  or

(B) who has been enrolled for at least 45 days, and is enrolled as of the date of the application, in a program to prepare persons to pass the high school equivalency exam;

(4) has submitted to the department written parental or guardian permission:

(A) for the department to access the applicant's school enrollment records maintained by the Texas Education Agency;  and

(B) for a school administrator or law enforcement officer to notify the department in the event that the person has been absent from school for at least 20 consecutive instructional days;  and

(5) has passed the examination required by Section 521.161 .

(b) The department may not issue a Class A, B, or C driver's license other than a hardship license to an applicant under 18 years of age unless the applicant has held an instruction permit or hardship license for at least six months preceding the date of the application.

Read this complete Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 521.204. Restrictions on Minor on Westlaw

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.