New York Surrogate's Court Procedure Act § 2207. Accounting by fiduciary of deceased fiduciary, committee of incompetent fiduciary, or conservator of conservatee fiduciary
Search New York Code
1. Where a fiduciary dies the court has the same jurisdiction upon the petition of any person required to be served upon a voluntary judicial settlement of the account of the deceased fiduciary to compel the fiduciary of the deceased fiduciary to account which it would have against the deceased fiduciary.
2. A fiduciary of a deceased fiduciary may voluntarily account for the acts and doings of the deceased fiduciary and for the property of the estate which had come into the possession of the latter, whether or not such property has come into the hands of the fiduciary of the deceased fiduciary, provided however, that the fiduciary of the deceased fiduciary shall not be accountable for such property except to the extent that he shall have assets of the estate of the deceased fiduciary.
3. On the death of a fiduciary while an accounting by or against him as such is pending before the court, the court may continue the proceeding where his fiduciary or successor has voluntarily made himself a party thereto or has been brought in by process, and proceed with the accounting and determine all questions and grant any relief which the court would have power to determine or grant in case such fiduciary had not died or in case the fiduciary of the deceased fiduciary had voluntarily petitioned for an accounting as provided in this section.
4. On a petition filed by a fiduciary of a deceased fiduciary there shall be brought in the persons who would be necessary parties to a proceeding commenced by the deceased fiduciary for a judicial settlement of his accounts and also if a successor of the deceased fiduciary has been appointed, such successor or his fiduciary.
5. If upon the accounting the court finds that there can be a distribution in whole or in part to the parties entitled thereto it may make a decree accordingly and may also therein direct payment and delivery of the balance of the estate by the fiduciary of the deceased fiduciary upon such terms and security as it deems proper. For the purpose of payment and distribution the fiduciary of the deceased fiduciary shall have all the powers and duties of the deceased fiduciary.
6. Upon the settlement of the account the court may allow to the fiduciary of the deceased fiduciary reasonable compensation for any service rendered by him to the estate accounted for. The compensation so allowed plus any commissions retained by the deceased fiduciary or payable to his estate shall in no event exceed a full commission under 2307, 2308 or 2309, whichever section is applicable to the type of the deceased fiduciary.
7. The court may grant to the fiduciary of a deceased fiduciary all of the rights and powers of the deceased fiduciary, subject to all of the duties and liabilities of such deceased fiduciary.
8. Every right granted by this section to or against the fiduciary of a deceased fiduciary shall apply to a similar proceeding by or against the committee of an incompetent fiduciary or the conservator of a conservatee fiduciary.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of WestlawNext, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit WestlawNext.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via WestlawNext before relying on it for your legal needs.