New Mexico Statutes Chapter 47. Property Law § 47-8-39. Owner retaliation prohibited
Search New Mexico Statutes
A. An owner may not retaliate against a resident who is in compliance with the rental agreement and not otherwise in violation of any provision of the Uniform Owner-Resident Relations Act by increasing rent, decreasing services or by bringing or threatening to bring an action for possession because the resident has within the previous six months:
(1) complained to a government agency charged with responsibility for enforcement of a minimum building or housing code of a violation applicable to the premises materially affecting health and safety;
(2) organized or become a member of a residents' union, association or similar organization;
(3) acted in good faith to exercise his rights provided under the Uniform Owner-Resident Relations Act, including when the resident makes a written request or complaint to the owner to make repairs to comply with the owner's obligations under Section 47-8-20 NMSA 1978;
(4) made a fair housing complaint to a government agency charged with authority for enforcement of laws or regulations prohibiting discrimination in rental housing;
(5) prevailed in a lawsuit as either plaintiff or defendant or has a lawsuit pending against the owner relating to the residency;
(6) testified on behalf of another resident; or
B. If the owner acts in violation of Subsection A of this section, the resident is entitled to the remedies provided in Section 47-8-48 NMSA 1978 and the violation shall be a defense in any action against him for possession.
C. Notwithstanding the provisions of Subsection A of this section, the owner may increase the rent or change services upon appropriate notice at the end of the term of the rental agreement or as provided under the terms of the rental agreement if the owner can establish that the increased rent or changes in services are consistent with those imposed on other residents of similar rental units and are not directed at the particular resident, but are uniform.
Read this complete New Mexico Statutes Chapter 47. Property Law § 47-8-39. Owner retaliation prohibited on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.