Maryland Code, Health-General § 13-3301
Search Code of Maryland
(a) In this subtitle the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) “Caregiver” means:
(1) A person who has agreed to assist with a qualifying patient's medical use of cannabis; and
(2) For a qualifying patient under the age of 18 years, a parent or legal guardian.
(c) “Certifying physician” means an individual who:
(1) Has an active, unrestricted license to practice medicine that was issued by the State Board of Physicians under Title 14 of the Health Occupations Article;
(2) Is in good standing with the State Board of Physicians;
(3) Has a State controlled dangerous substances registration; and
(4) Is registered with the Commission to make cannabis available to patients for medical use in accordance with regulations adopted by the Commission.
(d) “Commission” means the Natalie M. LaPrade Medical Cannabis Commission established under this subtitle.
(e) “Dispensary” means an entity licensed under this subtitle that acquires, possesses, processes, transfers, transports, sells, distributes, dispenses, or administers cannabis, products containing cannabis, related supplies, related products containing cannabis including food, tinctures, aerosols, oils, or ointments, or educational materials for use by a qualifying patient or caregiver.
(f) “Dispensary agent” means an owner, a member, an employee, a volunteer, an officer, or a director of a dispensary.
(g) “Fund” means the Natalie M. LaPrade Medical Cannabis Commission Fund established under § 13-3303 of this subtitle.
(h) “Grower” means an entity licensed under this subtitle that:
(1)(i) Cultivates, manufactures, processes, packages, or dispenses medical cannabis; or
(ii) Processes medical cannabis products; and
(2) Is authorized by the Commission to provide cannabis to a qualifying patient, caregiver, processor, dispensary, or independent testing laboratory.
(i) “Independent testing laboratory” means a facility, an entity, or a site that offers or performs tests related to the inspection and testing of cannabis and products containing cannabis.
(j) “Medical cannabis grower agent” means an owner, an employee, a volunteer, an officer, or a director of a grower.
(k) “Processor” means an entity that:
(1) Transforms medical cannabis into another product or extract; and
(2) Packages and labels medical cannabis.
(l) “Processor agent” means an owner, a member, an employee, a volunteer, an officer, or a director of a processor.
(m) “Qualifying patient” means an individual who:
(1) Has been provided with a written certification by a certifying physician in accordance with a bona fide physician-patient relationship; and
(2) If under the age of 18 years, has a caregiver.
(n) “Written certification” means a certification that:
(1) Is issued by a certifying physician to a qualifying patient with whom the physician has a bona fide physician-patient relationship; and
(2) Includes a written statement certifying that, in the physician's professional opinion, after having completed an assessment of the patient's medical history and current medical condition, the patient has a condition:
(i) That meets the inclusion criteria and does not meet the exclusion criteria of the certifying physician's application; and
(ii) For which the potential benefits of the medical use of cannabis would likely outweigh the health risks for the patient; and
(3) May include a written statement certifying that, in the physician's professional opinion, a 30-day supply of medical cannabis would be inadequate to meet the medical needs of the qualifying patient.
Read this complete Maryland Code, Health-General § 13-3301 on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.