Indiana Code Title 20. Education § 20-25-3-3
Search Indiana Code
Sec. 3 . (a) A member of the board must:
(1) be a resident voter of the school city; and
(2) have been a resident of the school city for at least one (1) year immediately preceding the member's election.
(b) A board member may not:
(1) serve in an elective or appointive office under the board or under the government of the civil city while serving on the board; or
(2) knowingly have a pecuniary interest as described in IC 35-44.1-1-4 in a contract or purchase with the school city in which the member is elected.
If, at any time after a member is elected to the board, the board member knowingly acquires a pecuniary interest in a contract or purchase with the school city, the member is disqualified to continue as a member of the board, and a vacancy in the office is created.
(c) Each member of the board shall, before assuming the duties of office, take an oath, before a person qualified to administer oaths, that:
(1) the member possesses all the qualifications required by this chapter for membership on the board;
(2) the member will honestly and faithfully discharge the duties of office;
(3) the member will not, while serving as a member of the board, become interested, directly or indirectly, in any contract with or claim against the school city, except as authorized by law;
(4) in the performance of official duties as a member of the board, including the selection of the board's officers, agents, and employees, the member will not be influenced by any consideration of politics or religion; and
(5) the member will be controlled in the selection of officers, agents, and employees only by considerations of merit, fitness, and qualification.
(d) Board members are entitled to receive compensation not to exceed the amount allowed under IC 20-26-4-7 and a per diem not to exceed the rate approved for members of the city-county council established under IC 36-3-4 for attendance at each regular and committee meeting as determined by the board.
Read this complete Indiana Code Title 20. Education § 20-25-3-3 on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.